Teams participating in the Action Civics Initiative have access to free professional development opportunities throughout the term of the grant. These opportunities are available to teams and individuals not currently participating in the initiative, on a cost recovery basis. Professional development opportunities are listed on the calendar below.
If you are not part of the initiative, but wish to participate in one of these sessions, please contact Frank Pisi at email@example.com to discuss options available.
|Action Civics Site Team Professional Development Sessions
|November 15, 2014
Download an archive (52.1 MB Zip file) of the photos used during the icebreaker activity. These photos can be a good way to engage your students and spark conversation about Civics issues.
|December 13, 2014
|February 28, 2015
Participant Agenda (700k PDF)
Pre-work: Please complete the following PRIOR to the PD session:
- One article: Please read the article 8 Essentials for Project Based Learning (352k PDF)
- Two Videos: Please select one video from the PROJECT BASED LEARNING category and one video from the COMMUNITY SERVICE category:
- PROJECT BASED LEARNING:
- COMMUNITY SERVICE:
- Three Reflection Questions:
- What do you KNOW about the differences between Community Service, Simulations, Project Based Learning, and Service Learning?
- What three things would you WANT TO KNOW about Community Service, Simulations, Project Based Learning, and Service Learning?
- When engaging in projects with students, are you more prescriptive (by the book) or allowing of student choice in topic, direction, and outcome?
- Session Powerpoint
- Zip file of materials used during session
|April 18, 2015
July 20-24, 2015
- Institute Logistics (592k PDF)
- Pre-institute Reading: What Kind of Citizen? (77k PDF)
- Monday, July 20 (36.1 MB Zip file)
- ACSI Day ONE
- Action Civics Process Guide
- Babies in the River Service v Advocacy
- Digital Issues to Action
- Summer Institute Speakers with Contact Info
- YELL Curriculum
- YELL Presentation - Public
- YELL Youth Leadership Model 2007
- Tuesday, July 21 (15.1 MB Zip file)
- ACSI Day TWO
- California State Government Org Chart
- The Government of the United States
- UC Davis CCEP Policy Brief
- Wednesday, July 22 (19.5 MB Zip file)
- ACSI Day THREE
- About California Courts
- California Judicial Branch
- Courts System
- New Three Strikes Law
- Sacramento County District Attorney's Office Org Chart
- Thursday, July 23 (33 MB Zip file)
- ACSI Day FOUR
- City of Sacramento Org Chart
- City-wide Volunteer Program General Short Slide Show
- Sacramento County Org Chart
- Youth Volunteer Directory 2014
- Friday, July 24 (46.6 MB Zip file)
- ACSI Day FIVE
- Sacramento Region Foundation NGOs
- What Are the Basic Responsibilities of Nonprofit Boards?
|October 3, 2015
|November 14, 2015
8:45 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Natomas High School Library
3301 Fong Ranch Rd.
Sacramento, CA 95834
|January 23, 2016
|March 12, 2016
McGeorge School of Law